Application and Entrance Requirements
The Academy of Vocal Arts accepts singers on a full-tuition scholarship basis only. Most of AVA's artists have graduated from renowned music schools in the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and Central and South America. They have already achieved a high level of musicianship, a knowledge of music theory and history, and have had many years of private voice study with major voice teachers. Singers are urged not to apply unless they feel they have exceptional vocal/theatrical qualifications and have dedicated themselves to a professional career. All applications are reviewed by the executive director. Applicants with insufficient experience are discouraged from applying, and applications and fees are returned. All applicants must enter the program by means of a formal application and audition.
Applications received via email or fax will not be accepted. Contact Val Starr, Dean of Students, with questions regarding your application. Ms. Starr can be reached at email@example.com or 215.735.1685.
- Applicants should have at least four years of college training in music or
its equivalent in private study.
- Applicants are accepted regardless of race, sex, nationality, religion,
disability or marital status. Age guidelines are 18-28 for women, 20-30
for men. Exceptions are made on an individual basis, depending on the
applicant's talent and any other extenuating circumstances such as
military service or having entered the music field at a very late stage.
Please send proof of age (birth certificate, driver's license, etc.) when
submitting an application.
- No college/university transcripts are required for an audition. Once accepted, applicant must submit copy of official college/university transcript demonstrating scholastic competence to succeed at a graduate level as well as competence in music theory, ear training, language skills, music history and basic keyboard skills.
Requirements for Foreign Applicants
- AVA welcomes applications from qualified singers from other countries.
Admission requirements are identical for all applicants, regardless of
citizenship. English proficiency is required, and is evaluated in the
audition process. TOEFL scores are required. Immigration regulations
require all successful foreign applicants to obtain a student visa. The
Academy of Vocal Arts is approved for attendance by artists granted either
an F-1 or M-1 visa. AVA will enter international students into the SEVIS
system and provide a SEVIS I-20 form for those students so that they may
apply for their F-1 or M-1 visas.
- The application form must be completely filled out, mailed or hand delivered to The Academy along with a $100 non-refundable application fee. Faxed materials are not accepted.